[Sem-coll] IIT Applied Math Colloquium & Seminars Next Week

Joe Millham jmillham at iit.edu
Sat Nov 6 13:47:56 CDT 2010

Please join the Applied Math department for the following Seminars and
Colloquia.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served
at some events.  For a complete and updated listing of the
department's seminars, please visit the seminar webpage:
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/

Department Colloquium
Monday, Nov. 8 E1 106 4:40 pm
Chun Liu, Penn State University
"Energetic Variational Approaches in the Modeling of Ionic Solutions
and Ion Channels"
See abstract Below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Discrete Applied Math / Networks & Optimization Seminars
Wednesday, Nov. 10, E1 106   12:50 pm
Mary Fidler, IIT Applied Math
"Network Flow Problems: A Survey"
See abstract below
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Math Club Event
Wednesday, Nov. 10,  E1 104   12:50 pm
Mead Killion, Etymotic Research
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
=================
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Department Colloquium
Monday, Nov. 8 E1 106 4:40 pm
Chun Liu, Penn State University
"Energetic Variational Approaches in the Modeling of Ionic Solutions
and Ion Channels"
Abstract:
Ion channels are key components in a wide variety of biological
processes. The selectivity of ion channels is the key to many
biological process. We try to study these selectivity mechanisms in
ion channels by developing reduced models, taking into consideration
of dielectric coefficient and ion particle sizes, as well as their
very different, however primary, structures and properties. These
self-organized systems will be modeled and analyzed with energetic
variational approaches (EnVarA) that  were motivated by classical
works of Rayleigh and Onsager. The resulting/derived
multiphysics-multiscale systems  automatically satisfy the Second Laws
of Thermodynamics  and the basic physics that are involved in the
system. In this talk, I will discuss  some of the related issues we
had encountered in these projects.

Discrete Applied Math / Networks & Optimization Seminars
Wednesday, Nov. 10, E1 106   12:50 pm
Mary Fidler, IIT Applied Math
"Network Flow Problems: A Survey"
Abstract:
We shall give a brief overview of basic concepts in network flows and
the two classical problems of min cost and max flow.  Our main focus
will be the min-cost network flow with convex cost (as opposed to
linear cost) and the description of two algorithms to solve this
problem.  Finally, we shall examine multicommodity flows, outline some
solutions methods for it, and explore the challenges of solving
multicommodity flow problem when the flow is required to be
integer-valued.

see you there!
Joe Millham

Administrative Assistant