[Sem-coll] IIT Applied Math Seminars & Colloquium Next Week

Joe Millham jmillham at iit.edu
Fri Mar 26 14:56:29 CDT 2010

Please join the Applied Math department for the following Seminars and
Colloquia.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served
at some events.  For a complete and updated listing of the
department's seminars, please visit the seminar webpage:
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/

Department Colloquium
Xiaofan Li, IIT - Applied Math
"Interfacial Dynamics and Boundary Integral Methods"
Monday, March 29,  4:40 pm  E1 106
See abstract below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meshfree Methods Seminar
Greg Fasshauer,  IIT - Applied Math
"Meshfree Methods for High Fidelity Numerical Simulations of Viscous
Incompressible Flow"
Monday, March 29,  1:50 pm   AM 222
See abstract below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Department Colloquium
Xiaofan Li, IIT - Applied Math
"Interfacial Dynamics and Boundary Integral Methods"
Monday, March 29,  4:40 pm  E1 106
Abstract:
In this talk, a few numerical methods for moving boundary problem of
partial differential equations will be reviewed. In particular, the
boundary integral method is explained in detail. Some of our recent
work on applying the method to fluid mechanics and materials science
will be presented.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meshfree Methods Seminar
Greg Fasshauer,  IIT - Applied Math
"Meshfree Methods for High Fidelity Numerical Simulations of Viscous
Incompressible Flow"
Monday, March 29,  1:50 pm   AM 222
Abstract:
We discuss ideas for a new adaptive algorithm that will enable us to
tackle the problems of moving boundaries and fluid-surface
interactions. This algorithm combines the flexibility and accuracy of
RBFs with a Lagrangian framework for the Navier-Stokes equations that
simplifies adaptation to a constantly changing domain. Our method
should be able to perform numerical simulations for arbitrary moving
domains, including problems associated with free-surface flows,
fluid-surface interaction or moving boundaries. Preliminary analysis
of our method shows that our approach can successfully compete with
current state-of-the-art methods. This is joint work with Paritosh
Mokhasi and Dietmar Rempfer.

see you there,
Joe Millham

Administrative Assistant