[Sem-coll] Applied Math Colloquium & Seminars Sept 21 - 25

Joe Millham jmillhamiit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:04:20 CDT 2009

Please join the Applied Math department for the following colloquium
and seminars.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be
served at select events.  For updated information on all our
Department's seminars, please visit our website: <
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/ >.

Department Colloquium
Monday, Sept 28, 2009
4:40 pm   E1 106
Guowei Wei (Michigan State University)
"Differential Geometry-Based Multiscale Modeling of Biological Systems"
Join us at 4:15 in E1 112 for refreshments and conversation
See Abstract below

Meshfree Methods Seminar
Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009
12:50     E1 106
Qi Ye (IIT Applied Math)
"Learning Solution of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations (A
Continuation)"
See abstract below

Stochastic and Multiscale Modeling Seminars
Thursday, Sept. 24, 2009
12:30 pm    E1 103
Stephen J. Guastello (Marquette University)
"Nonlinear Dynamics and Work Group Coordination"
See abstract below

Department Colloquium
Monday, Sept 28, 2009
4:40 pm   E1 106
Guowei Wei (Michigan State University)
"Differential Geometry-Based Multiscale Modeling of Biological Systems"
Abstract:
Under the physiological condition, most biological processes, such as
signal transduction and protein folding, occur in water, which
consists of 65-90 percent human cell weight. Therefore, solvent and
synergy of solvent-solute are important to the understanding of
biological processes and the dynamics of biomolecules. I will discuss
differential geometry based multiscale models that takes macroscopic
continuum descriptions for the solvent and microscopic discrete
descriptions for the biomolecule. Differential geometry theory of
surface is introduced to provide a natural and physical boundary of
the continuum and discrete domains. We derive the coupled geometric
flow equation, fluid flow equation, and generalized Poisson-Boltzmann
equation (PBE) to describe the dynamics of the biological systems.
Applications will be discussed to the physical properties, such as
solvation free energy, pKa values, electrostatic potential, fluid
flows and molecular dynamics of large biomolecules.
Acknowledgment:
This work was supported by NSF and NIH grants.

Meshfree Methods Seminar
Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009
12:50     E1 106
Qi Ye (IIT Applied Math)
"Learning Solution of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations (A
Continuation)"
Abstract:
The talk will be firstly introduced J. Warner and S. Koutsourelakis's
recent paper of Learning Solution to Multiscale Elliptic Problems with
Gaussian Process Models. The basic ideas of prediction using function
observations derivation observations for Gaussian process regression
will be discussed in the talk. Next we will present the methods of
Gaussian process regression for multiscale elliptic PDEs. In addition,
we will introduce some new ideas of our recent report of Learning
Solution of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations. We wish to
apply the meshfree methods and the kernel methods into the numerical
approach of SPDEs.

Stochastic and Multiscale Modeling Seminars
Thursday, Sept. 24, 2009
12:30 pm    E1 103
Stephen J. Guastello (Marquette University)
"Nonlinear Dynamics and Work Group Coordination"
Synchronicity has been observed in both living and nonliving systems,
including the coordination of human work teams. The presentation
describes a suite of experiments on work group coordination that
utilize principles of implicit learning and game theory.  Performance
dynamics displayed evolutionarily stable states, chaos and
self-organization. The Lyapunov exponent was treated as an index of
adaptability in an experiment involving emergency response behavior
that could be used to compare experimental conditions. The effects of
verbal communication, personnel replacements, leadership and work
group size on coordination were also considered.

see you there!

Joe Millham
Administrative Assistant
Engineering-1 Room 208