[Meshfree-methods-seminar] Excursion next week?

Greg Fasshauer fasshauer at iit.edu
Sun Mar 18 15:42:12 CDT 2012

Hi,

                Based on the weather forecast, I suggest we do the Starved
Rock trip on Tuesday. The park is about 90 miles from IIT, so it should be
about a 2hr drive (or slightly less). I live about halfway there, and a
little off to the side, so it would be best if those of you coming from the
city drive together, and we all meet up at the park. I could come to the
city to give people a ride, but that would mean about 4 extra hrs of driving
on my part, so I would prefer not to do that if possible.

I've had positive feedback from Roberto, Lulu, Qi and Barrett. That would
mean one car. As far as I know, both Lulu and Qi have vehicles. How about
you all meet at IIT to depart there at 9:00am, and then we all meet at
Starved Rock around 11:00. You can look up directions, but basically all you
need to do is take I-55 South to I-80 West, and exit from I-80 at Exit 81
(following the signs for Starved Rock State Park). Alternatively, you can
take the earlier Ottawa exit for IL-23 and get to the park from the "back".

I've attached a PDF map of the park, and marked the parking lot I'd like to
meet at. Once inside the park, you should be able to follow signs to the
Lodge and Conference Center (the parking lot is right in front).

It's been pretty warm and dry, so hopefully the trails are in decent shape.
They might be a little muddy in places, so don't wear your best shoes.

I suggest we hike from the parking lot east along those trails marked in
green on the map, and then back again. There are some small canyons and
waterfalls along the way, and some nice views of the river. We can pack some
snacks and stop somewhere along the trail to eat. There are also some
restaurants in Utica and Ottawa where we might stop for a warm meal after
the hike.

Is anyone else interested in joining us? If so, please respond as soon as
possible so that we can adjust the plan.

If anyone wants to talk about this in person, I'll be at IIT tomorrow
afternoon.

            See you - hopefully - on Tuesday,

            Greg

Office: Engineering 1, Room 208A