[Mathclub-members] Fwd: Undergrad FWS

Jinqiao Duan duan at iit.edu
Mon Sep 28 08:44:48 CDT 2009

*Dear Math Club members,*

We are looking for a FWS undergraduate student working on the following
project. If you are interested to apply, ** please check out the link on the
office of undergraduate research page at
http://www.iit.edu/research/undergraduate_research/ . Also see more info at
the end of this email.
<http://www.iit.edu/research/undergraduate_research/>

**

*Project title:
*

*Stochastic Modeling and Analysis of Genomic Data*

* *

* *

*It is full of data in biomedical and life sciences!*

*First scientific principles and possible keys for curing cancer are hiding
in genomic data sets.*

* *

*How to discover these scientific principles and find keys for curing
diseases from genomic data? Existing mathematical methods may not be
sufficient or appropriate, given the nature and magnitude of genomic data.
New mathematical, stochastic and computational techniques are needed.*

* *

*In this Data-Driven Mathematical Modeling project, we develop stochastic
and computational tools to analyze genomic data sets for a specific cancer.
The data sets are from Professor Jialing Xiang's lab at BCPS department,
IIT. This is an interdisciplinary research project*

*involving Professor Jinqiao Duan (Applied Math), Professor Jialing Xiang
(Biology), Bonnie Haferkamp (PhD student in Biology) and you (undergraduate
student).*

--
Professor Jinqiao Duan
Chicago, IL 60616, USA