[grads] Fwd: GRWC 2018 - Applications now Open

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Thu Dec 21 15:46:10 CST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ferrara, Michael <MICHAEL.FERRARA at ucdenver.edu>
Date: Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM
Subject: GRWC 2018 - Applications now Open
To: "Combinatorics.Workshop at gmail.com" <Combinatorics.Workshop at gmail.com>

Dear Colleagues,

    I am writing today on behalf of the organizers of the Rocky Mountain -
Great Plains Graduate Workshop in Combinatorics (GRWC).   The GRWC is an
intensive 2-week summer research workshop for experienced graduate students
and postdocs from all areas of combinatorics.

This summer, the 5th GRWC will be held from *May 20 - June 2 *at *Iowa
State University*, in Ames, IA.  More information about the workshop can be
found below, and also on the GRWC website

www.combinatoricsworkshop.org

Applications are now open, and the deadline for full consideration is *January
31, 2018.*  The application process is competitive, and we encourage
applicants to spend a bit of time on their application statement, as this
is an important part of the review process.

Our current NSF funding will support travel and local expenses for 20 or
more participants from U.S. institutions outside of the organizing
schools.  Once again this year, generous funding from The Combinatorics
Foundation will also support a limited number of students and/or postdocs
from international universities.

If you would kindly forward this email and/or distribute the attached flier
to any graduate students or postdocs that may be interested, that would be
greatly appreciated.

Also, for those of you who will be attending the JMM this year, we have
organized a special session showcasing research from the 2016 and 2017
workshops.  Held on Friday, January 12, the session will feature research
presentations by 11 graduate students and postdocs.

Many Thanks,

Mike Ferrara
University of Colorado Denver
On behalf of the GRWC organizing committee

********************

<https://sites.google.com/site/rmgpgrwc/>*More information about the GRWC:*

  The primary goal of the workshop is to help students and postdocs build a
durable research network of peers from across the community that will
support their research activity and productivity into their careers.
Each summer, GRWC participants, including faculty from the organizing
universities, work collaboratively on open problems that are proposed and
presented by student participants.  Thus far, research groups from 2014 -
2017 have completed 24 papers, with a number more in progress.  Examples of
problems presented at the GRWC can be found at

https://sites.google.com/view/grwc/problem-garden?authuser=0

The 2017 problem garden will be posted early in 2018.

While research collaborations are the central activity of the GRWC, each
workshop also includes mentoring from faculty and other forms of
professional development.  In past years, these included panel discussions
with PhD mathematicians working in industry, and workshops on preparing for
the academic job hunt, selecting appropriate publication venues, and other
topics.

=====================================
Mike Ferrara

Director of STEM Education Initiatives
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Associate Professor
Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences

University of Colorado Denver

Student Commons Building, Room 4205
303-315-1705 <(303)%20315-1705>
math.ucdenver.edu/~mferrara