[grads] [Sem-coll] Applied Math Colloquium Next Week

Joe Millham jmillham at iit.edu
Fri Jan 8 17:00:40 CST 2010

Happy New Year everyone, and welcome back to the Spring Semester at IIT!
Please join the Applied Math department for the below colloquium.  All
are welcome, and faculty & graduate students are especially encouraged
to attend these first colloquia of the semester.  Refreshments will be
served in Room 112 30 minutes before the scheduled start of the
seminar.

Monday, January 11, 2010
4:40 pm  E1 106
“ORACALLY EFFICIENT SPLINE SMOOTHING Of NONLINEAR ADDITIVE
AUTOREGRESSION MODELS WITH SIMULTANEOUS CONFIDENCE BANDS”
Qiongxia Song
(Michigan State University)
Abstract:
Under weak conditions of smoothness and mixing, we propose
spline-backfitted spline (SBS) estimators of the component functions
for nonlinear additive autoregression model that is both
computationally expedient for analyzing high dimensional large time
series data, and theoretically reliable as the estimator is oracally
efficient and comes with asymptotically simultaneous confidence band.
Based on newly derived confidence bands, we can test whether a
particular parametric  form fits a given data set. Simulation evidence
strongly corroborates with the asymptotic theory, and a real-date
example is used to illustrate our techniques.

See you there!

Joe Millham

Administrative Assistant
Engineering-1 Room 208