[grads] [Sem-coll] IIT Applied Math Seminars & Colloquium Next Week

Joe Millham jmillham at iit.edu
Fri Feb 12 11:50:25 CST 2010

Please join the Applied Math department for the following Seminars and
Colloquia.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served
at some events.  For a complete and updated listing of the
department's seminars, please visit the seminar webpage:
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/

Department Colloquium
Monday, February 15  4:40 pm  E1 106
Eva Marie Strawbridge, University of Chicago
"Slender Body Theory and Applications to DNA"
See abstract below
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stochastic & Multiscale Modeling and Computation Seminar
Friday, February 19  11:30 am E1 129
Changpin Li, Utah State University
"On the Fractional Calculus"
See abstract below
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Department Colloquium
Eva Marie Strawbridge, University of Chicago
"Slender Body Theory and Applications to DNA"
Abstract:
 We will discuss the Kirchhoff rod model and the incorporation of a
first approximation of viscous drag.  This model is examined through
the most simple case applicable to short segments of DNA in
Eukaryotes, the straight rod under tension.  We will conclude by
briefly discussing application of this theory to DNA.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stochastic & Multiscale Modeling and Computation Seminar
Friday, February 19  11:30 am E1 129
Changpin Li, Utah State University
"On the Fractional Calculus"
Abstract:
In this talk, we firstly recall the simple history of fractional
calculus then introduce the definitions of fractional integral and
several kinds of typical fractional derivatives. We also present their
important properties. In the end, we shortly introduce our work in
this respect.

see you there!

Joe Millham

Administrative Assistant