[grads] Department Poster Competition

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Fri Feb 12 09:12:40 CST 2010

Dear Students and Faculty,

As in the past years, an exhibition of posters by students will be an
integral part of this year's Menger Day activities on April 19th. See
<http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/about/menger/>. This exhibition and competition
has been a success with many positive comments from the alumni, former
faculty, and other visitors to the previous Menger Day celebrations.

All students, both undergraduate and graduate, are strongly encouraged to
participate in this exhibition and competition. The top two posters each
among the undergraduate and the graduate student participants will be
awarded prizes on Menger Day. They will also represent the department at
the IIT research day poster competition on April 14th. Since the
University poster competition is being held before Menger's day, we will
have to select the department representatives/ winners on April, 7th, to
satisfy the university deadline. However, all posters will be exhibited on
Menger Day as in the past.

Students: You are eligible to participate if you have conducted ANY
research over the past year. This research could be a part of a REU you
attended, any research you did with professors here at IIT, from your M.S.
thesis, Ph.D. thesis, and even something you did as class project for a
particular course inlcuding Math 100 projects.

You would prepare a 3ft by 4ft poster that describes this work and its
background. You would also have to verbally explain the context and
details of this research. Don't worry if you have not done this before or
you are not sure how do to do it, you can ask me (or any other faculty
member) for help and advice during the preparation for this competition.
Many students participated in the competition last two years, so they
would also be a good source of information. I will send out emails with
more information, including poster templates, printing instructions, etc.,
later in the semester.

Faculty Members: Those of you who have Ph.D. or M.S. students, should
encourage all of them to participate in the competition. If any student
has done an interesting class project (including Math 100), or summer
research (with you or at an REU), please encourage them to participate as
well.

The department will help subsidize the cost of materials and printing. Joe
Millham from the department office will help with the printing at IIT.

Please do not hesitate to email me if you need any further information. The
deadline for confirming your participation is Tuesday, March 16th, but
please write to me before that.

best wishes,
Hemanshu