[grads] weekly problem competition

Igor Cialenco igor at math.iit.edu
Thu Feb 4 17:56:23 CST 2010

Dear All,

for the past two years we have been running the Weekly Problem Competition within our department and we believe this was/is a successfully event. Our undergrads like it, and we are consistently getting solutions to the proposed problems. More details about the competition can be found at http://math.iit.edu/~weeklyproblem/

As for any other event, there are people behind it. It is a group of graduate students, who VOLUNTEERED to help (to select the problems, grade them, and post the results on the web/bulletin board.) I am the faculty advisor for the event.
For the last year Mr. Xiangyu_Wang was THE COORDINATOR of the competition. I would like to thank the entire team who help to handle this event, and Xiangyu personally for the incredible and consistently excellent job he  has done for the competition. But, as many of you already know, Xiangyu is graduating this semester. We are happy for him and let us wish him good luck and all the best in pursing his career. Starting Fall 2010 somebody from the student body has to take the role of coordinating this event. I am addressing all of you to consider to be The Boss of weekly problem competition. You may talk to Xiangyu about the details, but overall there is not very much to do, except it has to be done regularly (and ya, you will have to deal with me :)). On the other hand you gain a lot - experience, integration with department, interaction with people, couple of lines in your resume,  some good words in your potential recommendation letter etc.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or Xiangyu. If we agree to make the deal, then you may wish to take advantage that Xiangyu is still here and learn quickly how to run successfully the competition.

Best regards,
 Igor Cialenco

10 W 32nd Str, E1 234C
Chicago, IL 60616