[grads] [Sem-coll] Applied Math Seminars & Colloquium Next Week

Joe Millham jmillham at iit.edu
Thu Apr 22 16:17:57 CDT 2010

Please join the Applied Math department for the following Seminars and
Colloquia.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served
at some events.  For a complete and updated listing of the
department's seminars, please visit the seminar webpage:
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/

Department Colloquium
Vadim Linetsky, Nortwestern University
"Modeling Dependent Jumps: A Multivariate Time Change Approach"
Monday, April 26  E1 106 4:40 pm
See abstract below
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stochastic & Multiscale Modeling and Computation Seminar
Shawn Shadden, IIT - MMAE
"A Dynamical Systems Method for Studying Fluid Transport"
Monday, April 26  E1 244  11:30 am
See abstract below
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vadim Linetsky, Nortwestern University
"Modeling Dependent Jumps: A Multivariate Time Change Approach"
Monday, April 26  E1 106 4:40 pm
Abstract:
We show how to construct multi-dimensional Markov processes with
dependent jumps via multivariate time changes, how to solve the
resulting models via the spectral method, and present a range of
applications in credit, equity, and commodity modeling.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Shawn Shadden, IIT - MMAE
"A Dynamical Systems Method for Studying Fluid Transport"
Monday, April 26  E1 244  11:30 am
Abstract:
The purpose of this talk is to describe the application of dynamical
systems techniques to study fluid flow. In particular we will focus on
flow in the cardiovascular system. It is widely accepted that local
flow conditions influence the progression of many vascular diseases.
However, little progress has been made on understanding the underlying
biomechanical mechanisms. Major obstacles in this area of research
include being able to obtain realistic blood flow data, and being able
to comprehend the complex, transport-related processes at work. We are
using computational fluid dynamics and dynamical systems methods to
help overcome these obstacles. CFD, which has been used extensively in
the design and analysis of traditional engineering applications, can
be coupled with medical imaging to obtain highly-resolved,
time-varying, blood flow data. However, especially in the presence of
disease, the flow can be complex and traditional methods for
interpreting the flow behavior have limited success. Methods stemming
from dynamical systems theory enable a unique and powerful
understanding of transport in unsteady fluid flow problems. This
framework is enabling a more rigorous analyses of the flow physics in
many important cardiovascular applications. This talk will provide a
brief overview of the methods and applications that we have been
working on.

see you there,
Joe Millham

Administrative Assistant