[grads] Research and a Poster Competition

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Wed Mar 14 07:55:00 CST 2007

Dear Applied Mathematics undergraduate and graduate students,

As you should be aware, research -- the discovery of knowledge -- is
an important part of our department's activity, not only for
professors and graduate students, but for undergraduate students as
well. I would like to briefly review some of our accomplishments as
well as mention some new opportunities.

RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS
In the past year or so we have been trying to foster applied
mathematics research in a number of ways. Please forgive me if I have
missed something.

o There has been an increase in the number of grant proposals
submitted and several proposals successfully funded (Profs. Bielecki,
Duan, Ellis, and Li). Some of these grant proposals are for large
interdisciplinary projects with heavy applied mathematics involvement.

o In addition to our active departmental colloquium, there have been
three ongoing seminar series (discrete, mathematical finance, and
mesh-free) focusing on specific research interests.

o Prof. Jerry Frank published a research monograph on copulas. A
research monograph on mesh-free methods by Prof. Greg Fasshauer is in
press.

o Faculty members are active in organizing research conferences,
including one at IIT, one in Italy, and another in Portugal this summer.

o A number of professors from other universities have visited us to
engage in research with our faculty and students. Next month we will
have the first Menger Memorial Lecture, given by Prof. Karl Sigmund
of the University of Vienna, plus additional formal and informal
meetings of Prof. Sigmund with faculty and students. Next fall we
hope to have a sabbatical visitor from Germany teaching here, who
will also be leading a research seminar involving faculty and students.

o With the help of the librarian, we have increased our applied
mathematics journal holdings substantially, and added Web of Science.

o This Spring Profs. Fasshauer and Pelsmajer started a mathematics-
based IPRO project to involve undergraduates in an interdisciplinary,
independent, team effort. Prof. Pelsmajer also led a group of faculty
in offering MATH 100 Introduction to the Profession. Our hope is that
exposing undergraduate students to various aspects of applied
mathematics will help them get into research before they graduate.

o Last summer 3 of our students (Jon Beagley, Mike McCourt and James
Pierce), participated in NSF-funded summer Research Experiences for
Undergraduates (REUs).

o A number of undergraduate students have been conducting research
with professors under the MATH 491 code.

o Both graduate and undergraduate students have been supported by the
Department to attend conferences and present the results of their
research.  (Students planning to attending a conference in the coming
year should fill out a form available Gladys Collins as early as
possible.)

o Several graduate students have undertaken research, summer
internships, and consulting work at Argonne National Laboratories and
local companies.

o The College of Science and Letters has instituted summer
scholarships to conduct research for undergraduate students,
beginning this summer. The Applied Mathematics Department also has
recently announced two summer research scholarships open to
undergraduate and graduate students. The deadline for application is
this Friday, March 16 (March 19 should be okay).

As you can see, a broad spectrum of faculty and students have
contributed to our research efforts. A big THANK YOU to everyone.

APPLIED MATHEMATICS STUDENT POSTER COMPETITION
To encourage our students in their research I would like to announce
a new initiative. The Department of Applied Mathematics will be
initiating a poster competition for student research next month.