[grads] [Sem-coll] Applied Math Colloquium and Seminar Monday and Friday Sep. 18 and 22

Robert Ellis rellis at math.iit.edu
Thu Sep 14 17:43:19 CDT 2006

Please join us for next week's seminars.  We will have refreshments 10-15
minutes before the talks.  A follow-up announcement will be made to
confirm the location of the second talk.

1. AM Colloquium: Monday, Sep 18 4:35pm E1 106, Rong-Xian Yue
2. AM Seminar: Friday, Sep 22 3:15pm, E1 TBA, Caroline Klivans

1. AM Colloquium: Monday, Sep 18 4:35pm E1 106, Rong-Xian Yue

Speaker: Rong-Xian Yue (Shanghai Normal University)
Title: Robust Design for Linear Multiresponse Models with Possible Bias

Abstract:  This talk concentrates on the model-robust design problem for
multiresponse model with possible bias. We assume that the fitted model
for each response is first-degree or second-degree polynomials and we
confine ourselves to the use of the generalized least squares estimates
for the unknown parameters. We assume that the model bias includes the
effects due to higher degree terms of multivariate Hermite polynomials. A
criterion for choosing designs is proposed based on averaging the mean
squared error over all possible bias. It is shown that the criterion is
invariant with respect to orthogonal transformation of designs. Several
illustrative examples are presented.

2. AM Seminar: Friday, Sep 22 3:15pm, E1 TBA, Caroline Klivans

Speaker: Caroline Klivans (University of Chicago)
Title: Generalized Degree Sequences

Abstract:  Degree sequences of graphs have been thoroughly studied. For
example, there are many characterizations for those integer sequences that
are degree sequences of graphs. It is also well known which classes of
graphs have distinguished properties such as maximal or unique degree
sequences. Notions of generalized degree sequences for higher dimensional
simplicial complexes however have not been nearly as well investigated. I
will talk about work in progress on understanding these generalized degree
sequences and those complexes which exhibit analogous special properties.

This talk reflects joint work with Amitava Bhattacharya, Uri Peled, and
Vic Reiner.