[grads] Fwd: SAMSI Postdoctoral Positions Available in 2007-08

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Wed Nov 29 11:15:47 CST 2006

Dear students,

Here is an opportunity to keep in mind if you will be graduating in
the coming year (or for future reference if your graduate is further
off).  I would recommend that those in the stochastics area may wish
to visit SAMSI for one of their workshops, etc.  This would give you
a good chance to meet the professors who might be potential post-doc
supervisors.

> From: Sue McDonald <sue at samsi.info>
> Date: November 29, 2006 10:22:09 AM CST
> To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
> Subject: SAMSI Postdoctoral Positions Available in 2007-08
>
> The Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (SAMSI)
> is soliciting applications from statistical and mathematical
> scientists for up to eight postdoctoral positions, to begin in
> September, 2007 or January, 2008. Appointments, at extremely
> competitive salaries, will typically be for two years and be made
> jointly between SAMSI and one of its Partners. Applicants should
> have received (or expect to complete) a doctorate in 2002 or later.
> Members of under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to
> apply.
>
> SAMSI, located in Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, is a
> partnership between the National Science Foundation and the
> consortium of Duke University, North Carolina State University
> (NCSU), the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), and
> the National Institute of Statistical Sciences (NISS).  SAMSI is
> forging a new synthesis of the statistical sciences and the applied
> mathematical sciences with disciplinary science to confront the
> very hardest and most important data- and model-driven scientific
> challenges.  For more information, see www.samsi.info.
>
> SAMSI programs planned for the year 2007-08 are:
> • Risk Analysis, Extreme Events and Decision Theory will address
> fundamental issues in risk analysis, as well as associated problems
> associated with extreme events and decision theory through
> collaboration of statistical, applied mathematical and decision
> sciences, including operations research (Fall 2007, Spring 2008).
> • Random Media will provide a forum to investigate statistical and
> deterministic components of random media for applications
> including, but not limited to, time reversal, interface problems,
> imaging in random media, and scattering theory for discontinuous
> media (Fall 2007, Spring 2008).
> • Environmental Sensor Networks will bring together ecologists,
> mathematicians, statisticians, and computer scientists with the
> objective of formulating and addressing optimization of data
> gathering, data analysis, data coverage, modeling and inference
> when the network itself is a dynamic system of self-organizing
> nodes (Spring 2008).
> Postdoctoral Fellows will participate in one or more of these
> research programs, in collaboration with statisticians, applied
> mathematicians and disciplinary scientists from universities,
> industry, national laboratories and government agencies.  Criteria
> for selection include demonstrated research ability in statistical
> and/or applied mathematical sciences, interest and (to a lesser
> degree) experience in the SAMSI program areas and vision, and
> strength in computation and in verbal and written communication.
>
> The deadline for full consideration of applications is January 31,
> [...]
E1 Bdg Rm 208, 10 West 32nd Street, Chicago, IL 60616
Email: fred at amath.iit.edu, Web: www.iit.edu/~hickerne