[Discrete-math-seminar] Discrete Math Seminar: Wednesday, 9/27, 12:45pm, 122 RE

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Mon Sep 25 08:18:02 CDT 2017

Hello all,

Ben Reiniger will be giving a talk on "Vertex Degrees in Uniform
Hypergraphs" on  *Wednesday, 9/27, at 12:45pm in 122 RE. *The talk will be
mostly accessible to undergrads and much of it an expository introduction
to the topic. See below for the abstract.

Hemanshu

------------

*Title: Vertex(-set) degrees in uniform hypergraphs*
*Ben Reiniger, IIT*

*Wednesday, 9/27, 12:45pm, 122 RE *

The degree sequence of a graph (that is, the list of its vertices' degrees)
is very well-studied.  A k-uniform hypergraph is a pair (V,E) where
elements of E are k-element subsets of V.  (So, 2-uniform hypergraphs are
just ordinary graphs.)  We will explore what is known and unknown about
degree sequences and other generalizations to uniform hypergraphs, focusing
on the question of which sequences are degree sequences.
Most of the talk will be expository, but I will discuss some joint results
with Behrens, Erbes, Ferrara, Hartke, Spinoza, and Tomlinson.

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor